Thursday, November 18, 2010

This picture is blurry on purpose

Sydney is a very safe city. Australians take pride in their community and don't tolerate certain behavior that Americans openly accept in their daily lives.

I have yet to see a car on the road with tinted windows, missing or obscured license plates, nor drivers displaying menacing behavior. In KC - take a trip down US 71 or I-435 on the east side for the opposite of this.

They control their borders. Equally important to our passport and work visas was a receipt showing we had pre-paid private health insurance before we even got on the plane in the US. Even with insurance - don't even think about dropping a baby for the first 2 years and claiming any kind of citizenship or "rights". You can plan to pay every penny of the Baby's health care expense out of pocket. And some think Arizona is overstepping?

The legal alcohol level for drivers in Missouri  and Kansas is .08% - the legal limit for Americans driving in Australia is 0.0. That's right 0.0. That's even more strict than Lee and Pat's one drink rule! (If you pass an Aussie driving test and get a local license the legal limit is raised to .05).

If somehow, against all odds, someone manages to get their hands on some drugs - they need to be prepared to step off a train or a bus and, when they least expect it, they will be facing a scene like this:

It's the equivalent of a DUI checkpoint for people who aren't driving.

We just passed through here about an hour ago. It's the second one we've seen. Always on the lookout for blog material I asked permission to take a picture. I was given carefully placed access and told to avoid getting clear shots of anyone's face. There were another 10 or more officers lined up beside me as I took this picture. Two of them reviewed my pictures and they allowed this one.

And yes, I know you are wondering... while I was setting up to take the picture the dog quietly flagged a young lady and she was swiftly escorted to a private area by at least two officers. It happened so quickly and quietly that we almost didn't realize it happened less than 10 feet from us.

1 comment: