We stop over in Los Angeles to stay with my sister Terri and her family. Brenton jr. (5) and Hayden (3) are bright and full of joy. And they love mom's chicken marsala! Traci and Mom - you should make sure to plan this as part of the menu when they visit later this month.
We visited a pumpkin patch, haunted house, petting zoo park. At one point there was a guy who posed his family under a tree and he backed up far enough to frame the picture just so. He backed up about 50 feet to get the picture just right. Hayden saw him with his camera in the "shoot" position and dashed out to a point halfway between him and the family under the tree. She looked up at the camera and flashed her precious smile and pose.
Then uncle Bryan ruined it at dinner. I told the story to Brenton Sr. who wasn't there when it happened. We all laughed at the "look at me" gene that has been passed along. Even though Hayden is only 3 - she has the emotional intelligence of a teenager. She was embarrassed and said "I did NOT do that" through tears and buried her face in her arms.I feel terrible. I visited for 2 days and I hope I didn't crush her spirit for life! I had no idea she had that level of awareness. I still would have told the story - I just would have been more discreet about it.
It's been a year since we lost Slade. I picture him teaching Rowdy how to hold the small end of the football so he can throw it with a spiral. They have worked out a secret play they are going to pull on us in the great family touch football game that's been planned. Nimmo has made the field nice and level, Grandpa's got meat on the smoker and there is a green Coleman "ice chest" full of shasta pop. Plenty of creme soda and lemon-lime. Grandma has two jugs of Limeaid - one with pulp, one without. Edna and Eugene are already in their seats waiting for the game to start.
Love it! Both smiles and tears on this one.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your mom. Bittersweet feelings in my chest to the max. Love you Bryan.
ReplyDelete