Saturday, November 20, 2010

bee dibitee

As we've ventured further from Kirribilli we have found that most fast food or convenience stores are staffed by people with a bizarre accent that we can't make any sense out of. We just bought a bottle of Coke zero at a convenience store. Kim walked to the register and held it up for the guy to see and kind of kept walking. I was digging in my pocket for some coins to pay for it. I heard him say to her "bee dibitee". I'm  thinking to myself "I got nothing. No idea". So I look over at Kim -" dear, how much is it?" I knew that she had no clue - but I'm tired of saying "huh?". She looks back at me - yep, I was right she's got nothing either. This same thing happened multiple times on our outing today and I was getting frustrated. So - she tries again, slowly mouthing out  "how much?". We are staring at his lips trying to pick up any clue of what he is going to say. So he slowly and carefully says "bee... dibi.. tee..." I just started laying coins on the counter slowly until he took 4 and gave me 50 cents change.

It was $3.50 or."bee dibitee."

2 comments:

  1. I have found that I have the same problem but has to do with with aging ears. I just fake a yes or no, so far so good. I am loving your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem but my excuse is too many Ted Nugent concerts.

    ReplyDelete