Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

We had a visitor stop by our patio today. I was standing in the kitchen by the window when he landed there. He hung around for a while -even after I tried to shoo him away because I thought he was coming in through our open window... He liked Kim - she was at another window in the next room and he scooted down the rail to watch her. She got her phone and captured this video. Notice how she couldn't resist saying "hello" to see if it would talk back to her? Isn't that the same impulse we all have? Actually that was my second impulse - my first impulse when he startled me in the kitchen was to do the flailing arm wave protecting my head and high-step zig-zag run to get the hell out of there (aka the Joe Geris Wild Jamaica Cow scramble maneuver).

Sulphur-crested Cockatoos are native to Australia and Tasmania only. We have a bunch of them in our neighborhood and when they get excited they screech like pterodactyls. It's loud and harsh.

Disclaimer - the link takes you to a video of the exotic bird that Kim took and uploaded to LyonBarry's account - no grand production comedy today. I don't want anyone clicking on the link and being disappointed "big deal, it's just a bird video - we have birds where we live".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91fOZWi1GA

If you want to hear what they sound like- This is a recording of one  - imagine when 5-10 of them get going outside your window:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/sound/sulphur-crested-cockatoo-cacatua-galerita/screeching-tree-branch-then-flight

3 comments:

  1. I would like to point out that I did not run like that from your ordinary Jamacian Cow... I ran that way from a wild, St. Kitts Jungle cow. I think they are referred to as the Bovine Piranhas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. Was Baretta hanging out looking for his bird?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool bird. I can see by the video that Kim is very steady and not prone to arm waving such as Bryan. It seems to me the bird said hello back to Kim in sulphur-crusted cockatoo speak. I am loving your blogs, and it really helps take away from all that white outside that won't go away.

    ReplyDelete