Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pop Culture part II

The world is so small - technology is shrinking it.

I was in Canberra today for a meeting. I went with another KC expat. We were in the airport waiting for our flight back to Sydney this afternoon. I saw some video on his laptop. I couldn't hear the sound, just caught glimpses of the video.

I noticed that whatever he was watching had scenes from the neighborhood where we live.

Hey, that's Shelly Beach! That's the 16 foot Skiff Sailing club at the end of our street. That's our street. That's Shelly Beach again. Interesting. I wonder what he's watching?

Kim and I were at Shelly Beach on Sunday just before I left for Canberra (your Saturday). And sometimes we go to the Sailing Club for food and drinks (because a MO drivers license gets you in as an out of town "guest"). If you read my blog about the sidewalks - the 16 foot Skiff Sailing Club is at the end of that road I was walking down. 2 blocks from our place.

He turned to me and saw me looking at his screen:

"Hey, this is where you live isn't it?"
"yeah - I wonder why they were filming all of this stuff there"
"It's the Amazing Race. This episode is from Manly".
"What episode?"
"This one"
"Which one, what are you watching?"
"I"m connected to my Sling Box right now. This is KC local TV. It's Sunday Night back there and this is the live episode."
"It's not a recording? It's not some local Australian low-budget version of the Amazing Race?"
"No. This is the current US episode that is on TV right now in KC. Look! It's not a recording".
"But that is my street! Right there! See!!!!!! They are sailing to pick up clues on floating buoys in front of our building!" (If you saw the episode you know what I'm referring to)
"Yeah, I thought that was where we took the kayaks out".

What are the odds? What are the odds that I have seen exactly 2 minutes of US Local Broadcast TV since December - and that 2 minutes would be of our home as seen in KC and linked to my eyes through a fragile link of technology connections? 


This is hurting my head. I wish I was making this up!

1 comment:

  1. Too cool... I was watching that last night and wondered if you had been to any of those places, much less lived right by it!!!

    ReplyDelete