Monday, December 13, 2010

Peter Garrett

The lead singer for a famous '80s rock band is now a member of Parliament representing an area close to where we live.  He's been in the news a lot - I guess he's not a very good MP - but he's got name recognition so he'll keep getting elected.

Remember this hit from 1987?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkwUlaJhs0

When I looked him up I was amazed at how people all over Australia make fun of his dancing (there are official contests and events mocking it).

That strikes me as funny, because when that song came out we thought his jerky moves were a new style that was so cool that I remember a couple of my friends out at the clubs emulating it. I would have joined them but I can't dance in any manner or style.

If you advance to 1:44 in the video - you will see the move Joe and Wilmot used to throw down at Westport back in their single days. I hope Mark, Chris, Craig are reading - because I'm sure they will remember.

Thankfully -  "Cant Touch This" came out soon after and Rodney mentored Joe on some new moves he used while dating Tricia. I'm not sure the Peter Garrett moves would have worked out so well for him.

5 comments:

  1. You're going to catch hell for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe still does this move on the dance floor today. It is his signature move. Midnight Oil was one of the best 80s bands and I actually saw then in concert several times. I saw them at Sandstone a few years ago before they retired. Garrett was always very political and an activist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan I don't get why those 'blokes' down there would be ridiculing those dance moves... They are GOLDEN baby!!! As much as I tried to bust out the MC Hammer moves my hips could not 'discoloate' like Bufords so I went back to this move as my old standby. I'll have to verify with Tricia but I'm pretty sure this was the move that snagged her at the Cerner Xmas party, 17 years ago this past Saturday. I may go home and dance for her for old times sake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh. That move represents about 50% of my stage presence...

    ReplyDelete
  5. JBI - Just catching up. You appear to have a lot of spare time. I still have the blue vinyl on the midnight oil albumn. Sadly I think they were one hit wonders.

    ReplyDelete